Believe it or not each state in Australia has a different font for students to master! In Sydney we follow the 'NSW Foundation Style.' In the words of the NSW Board of Studies, in Years 5 & 6 students aim to 'develop a legible and fluent handwriting style.'
A quick solution is to buy a foundation handwriting text for your child to work through. The good news is these are quite cheap, generally under A$15! With internet shopping, it's not just the teachers that can get their hands on the bargains...
- Handwriting for Nsw Book 5: Go With the Flow by Colleen Graham
- Handwriting for Nsw Book 6: A Stylish Hand by Colleen Graham
- NEW IMPROVED FOUNDATION HANDWRITING NSW YEAR 5 by NIGHTINGALE
- NEW IMPROVED FOUNDATION HANDWRITING NSW YEAR 6 by NIGHTINGALE
I have found a free download of the font here, which may be helpful for creating your own worksheets, or your child may even like to use it in their assignments or presentations.
- download it (usually by 'right clicking')
- once downloaded find it on your computer
- double click on it and when the window comes up select "Install Font"
"Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently." Jean Cocteau